Thursday, March 26, 2009

Bringing the outside in

We are so tired of this winter. It was warming up nicely and Ciaran was having fun playing outside in the yard a lot. But then the winter storm came again, and he hasn't been outside in almost a week. He was wailing "Spring is NEVER going to come!". So I decided to bring the outside in to him, with an indoor sandbox! G thinks I'm nuts, but I think a little mess is worth not having Ciaran burn his eyeballs out in front of the television. He's been playing with it for over 30min now, and every few minutes saying "Thank you so much for my playset, I LOVE it!!". Awwwww! Thats worth the mess!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

So I got a bin from Walmart ($5.67), 3 bags of cornmeal ($4.50), added a half bag of lentils I had in the cupboard, some scoops and spoons and assorted stuff, and for about $10 he has a great activity. He's even added his dinosaurs and is having so much fun! When he's done (when Roan wakes from his nap, he's still a bit young and I don't have that much time to clean it all up), we'll snap the lid back on and its ready for next time!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Awesome idea Jen! I've heard of using rice as well. I always meant to try it, but never got around to it. I like the idea of cornmeal better, more like sand!

Anonymous said...

dude, sprouts and now a "sand box"? you're putting the rest of us to shame in the creativity department! great idea...

Josie said...

That is such a fun idea! Someday I will get that adventurous! (First I need a kid who can sit down longer than 10 seconds!)

Jennifer said...

It has been working so great. Ciaran can't wait for Roan to have his naps, and then plays with it until Roan wakes up. He has a few cars, and spends most of the time just burying and unburying the car. And I get to enjoy a coffee. Everyone is happy!