Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Garden - Early Beginnings

This past weekend was the 'long weekend', where many Calgarians (and probably many Canadians in general) take to their yards, put their gardening gloves on, and start the season.

I was out there too!

But luckily I've already been working on my garden, so there wasn't a ton for me to do. But I finished planting all my seeds and got the first of my potatoes planted too! So there isn't really anything to see yet, but here is how my garden looks now!

In the large trough is four zucchini's. More then I'm sure we'll need, but we'll be sharing :) The pink container is carrots, and the tall blue container is a different type of carrot planted a couple weeks later.

Photobucket

In the small blue container is my leaf lettuce. And the two black containers beside it are spinach. Both of these are totally new to me, I'm really excited to see how they grow!

Photobucket

Here are my peas! The two black and one white were planted a couple weeks ago, with a second batch in the other three black pots. Hopefully this extends our pea enjoying season! And the two large black pot's are beets, maybe my most favourite garden veggie of all!

Photobucket

And then my biggest experiment, my potatoes! I have two large pot's and a bag. As the potato grows, I will continue to mound the dirt up, rolling up the sides of the bag as it grows. I do want to plant a few more next week to again extend the growing season (and as plan B in case these don't grow well).

Photobucket

And I didn't know much about spacing, and have been reading contradicting information about 'chitting', so I just stuck them in there and we'll see how they work!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

And here is the garden in all it's stunning beauty (cough cough, hahahaha, cough, cough)...

Photobucket

Of course, when everything starts growing, I think it will look wonderful. And here is the first of the bunch, a few pea shoots. And as of today (a few days later), each pot has eight! Here we go!

Photobucket

No comments: